Saturday, July 25, 2009

Earl Grey tea

The first time I know about this tea was in Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code", which the character Sir Leigh Teabing like to drink Earl Grey tea with lemon and Professor Langdon was asked by Sir Leigh for the answer for "milk or sugar?". Put aside coffee, tea is one of the most popular drink after all. No matter it is British tea, Ceylon tea, Chinese tea, red tea or green tea, u name it, people from all around the world have their own preference of tea in their own countries. People drinks tea for many reasons too - for health, to keep fit, as a past time, a tradition, or simply - love it.

I can't recall actually since when I joined the group "tea lovers" rather than "coffee addicts". I like to drink Chinese tea after a heavy meal, with the belief that tea can help to reduce fat in our body (which is may be just my belief), and tea can 'wash away' whatever taste that left on your tongue after meal. This is an advantage that coffee doesn't have... Haha ^^ Whenever I dining in '
Mamak stall', I always order 'teh o limau' (which is Ceylon tea with lemon). It tastes good!

Yesterday, I went to the newly opened "Who's Bryan" coffee house at Ong Yi How (opposite Chung Ling Butterworth), never in my imagination, I found this "Earl Grey" in the menu. Without second thought, I ordered it. Before I talk about the taste, let us have some history here first...


Earl Grey is a tea blended with Bergamot oil (a type of fragrant orange, called "香柠檬" in Chinese). The tea is named after the second Earl Charles Grey, a British Prime Minister from 1830 - 1834. Since the taste of Bergamot is quite strong, the Bergamot oil was originally blended with black tea to mask the lack of flavour from black tea. The Bergamot orange is mostly cultivated in Italy and the Earl Grey tea is now a favorite in Britain and in North America.


Earl Grey tea looks no different from the Ceylon tea (the typical yellowish brown). The first taste after a sip is no different too, however, the moment just before you swallow, u got the special taste. It is neither simply sweet nor sour, but the distinctive aroma is the most pleasant taste in the end. Flicking through the directories in my mind, I just manage to say that it has a little bit the taste of Taiwan ‘roast milk tea’ (烤奶茶), just at the very end before you swallow… The taste is pleasant, not with strong aroma. It moistens the throat and so as the esophagus… and seducing you to want more of it...


This glass of Earl Grey has not added lemon… (I wonder whether the principle of adding lemon to Earl Grey and adding lemon to ‘teh o’ will be the same or not) May be next time I’ll try to find a shop selling Earl Grey with lemon… Perhaps anyone of you has ever tried one with added lemon? Mind telling me the taste? For those who never try Earl Grey before, do not hesitate to try one, you will never regret over it…



No comments:

Post a Comment